Thursday, May 6, 2010

I began the day by pushing a bush taxi up a hill. Fun!! A podapoda (bush taxi) comes to Kambama every now and then to pick people up and I was fortunate to have it come this morning so I did not have to get a motorcycle to Potoru. Unfortunately the minivan is a little on the old side. We first tried just to glide down a hill to get it to start, but no luck. So then Kenewa had to go and get some other strong young men to push it back up the hill to try again. To be honest I only pushed for a little while. My muscles just don’t equate to the people here. Plus the toe is still not exactly happy with me, although the lovely purple bruise is almost faded to a nice brown color...


So I brought my field assistants to Bo to look for rainboots, to buy some small things, and for me to check my email. They have gone back to Potoru (well, they are trying – Kenewa just called to tell me the podapoda had been stopped by the police for being “too old” and having too much stuff piled in). Basically the police just want money. Hopefully everything will work out. I am also trying to find a decent bicycle that will enable me to travel to the villages easier for my interviews. Had no luck finding one today...Might have to check out Kenema sometime.

As I was sitting in the village last night (since the podapoda left Kambama at 4:30am, I slept there), my friend Alusine said (more or less) “Man you really just need to get a place here. You know you’re going to be caught in the rain sometimes or it will be too late to cross to the island, so why not take Kenewa’s store room and put a bed there??” I was like “Heck yeah that’s an awesome idea.” So after clearing this with Kenewa (who was like “Awesome!” more or less), I have purchased 1 small mattress which will go on top of a locally made bed frame. I figure I will probably sleep there at least once every couple weeks, if not once a week, so why not? Sure beats the heck out of sleeping on a bedbug infested foam in a moldy tent. And I do need my people time. Never knew I liked people so much! Well, except the annoying men who yell at me on the streets of Bo. Don't like them so much.

Anyways, I am determined to learn more Mende this time. Last night I had about a half dozen teachers telling me important phrases like “Where is your boyfriend?” and “She is a very good cook” and the most important “What do you want? Stop following me!” I wrote down phrases as I dodged various insects who seem to gravitate towards eyes, nose, mouth, etc....

I’m about ready to start some real work now. My toe is nearly OK to walk on and I am semi-adjusted to the insane heat/humidity. At least I don’t always feel like I am melting. I’ll keep you updated!!!

No comments: