Anyways everything I going great here so far. The people are very nice. I've been hanging out with Abdou - I think he's been given white person babysitter job. Last night I got into the airport around 730pm. It was very dark and muggy. I got a guy to help me with my massive amounts of baggage, then went to go through customs expecting a horrible ordeal. I smiled at the agent, hoping for the best. He asked "Is this for a charity?" Me, being silly honest girl that I am (and still afraid of what the wrong answer would get me)) explained that I was a student studying here in Sierra Leone. He said "OK, go on, and marked my bags with chalk." My mouth dropped in shock but I recovered quickly, said thank you, and left. All that worrying for nothing!!! So then I walked ou the door and voila! There is my name on a sheet of paper. Whew! I got collected in a truck, and all my stuff fit. It was drizzling a bit of water but no problems. We drove down a very bumpy road, then went on the very cool ferry. I'd read somewhere that the ferry took forever, but it only took about 45 minutes. It would have been more fun if I had not been so tired. Anyways, so then we drove to the EFA (the people I am working with) office, which has a guest house. I went and took a bucket bath and immediately went to bed. I slept like a rock! It felt incredibly good to lie flat. It was about 11pm by the time I got to bed.
woke up this morning fearing I'd slept till noon, but it was only 930am. I got breakfast from the guesthouse - bread, cheese, boiled eggs and coffee, which works just fine with me! After breakfast my new friend Abdou and I went to the money changing people - nope, not the bank, but a room with a curtain! Very nice! But I got a far better rate than anywhere else. Then we went shopping a bit ( got food for this week, some bars of soap and sandals) and went to a restaurant where I had snapper fish - yum!!!
Looks like I am heading out to Tiwai on Friday or Saturday. I will be going in a car the whole way (well except for the river part) so it should be good. No motorcycles this time around! It doesn't sound too far away - a few hours. Bo, the place with internet, is only a couple hours away. I hope to set up a bank account and get an address there, but I will let you know. Oh both on the flight to London and to Freetown, I had 2 seats to myself so that was really nice!!! I slept a lot so I was more awake than I thought I would be getting to Freetown, which was good! Anyways I need to go check all my equipment now. Hope to hear from you. I should be able to check my computer every day while I am in Freetown. It's not as hassley a city as I thought it would be. I get looked at funny and I have not seen many other white peeps around, but nobody seems to hassle me too much. Yet! It's very humid and tropical - mango trees, palm trees, etc all around. It makes me happy because it smells like Africa! Hope all is well with you. Love you all lots. Oh and Abdou is trying to get me to do yoga! Not sure that is going to happen!
No comments:
Post a Comment