Sunday, May 20, 2012

Tricky hippos


Today was really frustrating. We got a call from Kenewa on the radio that he was still hearing the pygmy hippo shouting. I told him to stay at the trap, and start to talk with Michele and Annika. We debate on the different ways of possible capture for the pygmy hippo if it wouldn’t go into our trap, and decided to just go up and see what is what. I called for the boat, then waited…and waited. I called back, only to find that Mr. Momodu, boat-man extraordinaire (who had gone the day before with a crazy white tourism planner guy from Kenema to Tiwai in a canoe) needed to take his breakfast before he came to pick us up. I then called Kenewa back to try to get him to give us a status update on the hippo, only to find out that Kenewa had left the trap and returned to town. I think I was breathing quite deeply at this point, trying to maintain my temper. I got both field assistants to plead with Momodu to hurry up with his damn breakfast and then finally the boat got going.

We all went upriver to where Kenewa had heard the hippo (also, a trap had sunk in from the rain and we needed to fix it). While we fixed the trap, we sent Bobor and Kenewa to go check out the area – they said there was a pit frequently used by the hippo that they wanted to check out. About 10 minutes later, we hear a gigantic splash. The hippo had been very near us the entire time!! Maybe 30 meters away?? Kenewa and Bobor had run into it, almost literally, on their way back to us.

So now, we’re really really hoping that the hippo will stay in the area and bumble into one of our many fabulous traps are in the area. Lahai is still out with chicken pox, and we’re hoping the other guys do not come down with it. My lovely boil on my elbow is very colorful. Just saying…I know you wanna hear about it. I’m going to the village tonight to do some interviews, and just get away from the island. Sometimes one needs a break. 

No comments: