Friday, May 18, 2012

Somebody else's mistake is your mistake when you're the boss


So I guess I screwed up pretty much. When we were opening the traps, we split into teams, Annika and my own, with 5-6 people in each time. My own team was working well together so we were building the traps in pairs. Usually I could switch back and forth between the two traps to check things out. However, on trap 9 and 10, I could not walk from one to the other, so I had to choose 1 trap to go to. The other team had a guy who kept assuring me he knew exactly what he was doing, when I kept trying to make suggestions, he would just snap back that he knew. So I said, go ahead, you go and make trap 9 and I’ll go to trap 10 with these guys. We built the traps, I went back and looked at theirs and it looked good, all covered up. So then today we had a hippo step on trap 9. We went to look to see why it did not fall in. It turns out that the mat had never been cut. Therefore, the mat just bent and did not break as it should have. If that mat had been cut, the hippo would have fallen into the trap. I pretty much feel like I suck at life right now. I should have not allowed the group to split into 2 different groups. But I wanted to open all the traps on time, and I trusted the guy who said he knew how to make them perfectly. I kind of just want to go hide in a hole for the next decade.

In other news, we heard a hippo this morning while we were checking the traps. We even heard the footsteps but never saw the hippo. Now I am burnt to a crisp from the sun. Not good. I had brought sunblock but totally forgot to bring it with me. So now my body is on fire. Ouch. It is progressively getting hotter and hotter.
In more fun news, a mosquito bite on my elbow has gotten infected and my elbow is swollen. Can I come home now? 

No comments: