Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17th


After staying in the village for the past week so I could travel to different schools for environmental education activities, I’ve become a complete hermit. Well my assistants and I still go out in the mornings to afternoons for stuff in the forest, but then I make them leave. And if any villagers are travelling through, I don’t let them stay too long at research. I even instructed the forest guides to please not bring visitors through here for the time being. I overdosed on people I think. So now I’m recovering.

The environmental education went well I think. I spent the week with one guy working for EFA and one working for the Tran boundary Peace Park Project (Gola Forest Region). They were both Mende people but strangely did not want to speak Mende to the school children after the second day, so I got Minah to be the translator for the week (since I sadly cannot speak Mende at all). Some parts of the week were frustrating, but for the most part I think it was a success.

Now I am soaking up the quietude of Tiwai. Aaaahhhh….Mostly catching up on computer work while watching some movies and episodes of Law and Order. It is thundering outside, which I hope means rain so I can get some water to bathe with and wash with.

No comments: