Well I made it home, safe and sound, plus or minus a few
dermatological issues. The ride back was a little exhausted. The driver picked
us (Michele and I) up in Kambama and we headed for Bo. Upon reaching Bo, we
realized the driver had no intention of bringing us to Freetown, and he said he
had no information about the plan. We got ahold of the coordinator who
explained to the driver that he needed to pick us up the next morning to go to
Freetown. He grudgingly agreed, but then said he wanted to leave at 6am. Doing
the math, I saw that that would get us to Freetown by 10am, leaving Michele and
I hanging around for over 4 hours for the boat. I suggested 7, he again
suggested 6, and I firmly said “We’re leaving at 7, dangit.” Or something to
that effect. Then when we went to go get some water, we found the driver
sitting around, complaining about having no place to sleep. Sorry, dude. Went to
bed, did not sleep well, then started out to Freetown (at 7!). The driver was
extremely hard to understand, and to make him understand anything I was saying
was difficult too…We got to the water taxi location and he dropped us off,
after demanding I take 4 photographs of him next to the vehicle, and an
admonishment to bring him a watch next time I come from abroad. Then Michele
and I went to the beach and waited for 2 hours for some grilled fish (which was
billed as “boneless” which I thought meant filet – but apparently they just
took out the big bone through the center, and all the teeny tiny bones were
left throughout, but it was tasty regardless) and chips. Then we headed to the
airport – both Michele and I fell asleep on the speed boat across the water, we
were so tired at that point. I made my flight fine, but when I reached Atlanta,
the dart gun had not arrived. I called Sonia who was pretty worried, but it
showed up at our doorstep around 11pm that night. Whew! Now I’m just tired.
1 comment:
Hey April,
Just wanted to let you know I was going to credit you on my site for the picture of the boy from Sierra Leon. Very beautiful!
www.TieiraRyder.com
Post a Comment