Ugh, so for the past few days we hadn’t gotten any sign
whatsoever. Today is our last day on Tiwai Island, and Kenewa called us to say
a hippo had ALMOST fallen in the trap. We all go up there to look at it, and
find that the hippo has almost slipped in. Then we find out that the guys, when
they rebuilt the trap after some rain a week ago, never made the sticks weak
enough or the mat weak enough. The hippo broke the first sticks, but the mat
held firm. Michele could actually put her full weight on the trap and walk
across. I know the guys felt bad, and they didn’t make the mistake maliciously.
However, when we went and opened the trap (so we could start to close all the
traps), we were shocked to see 5 feet of water inside. It had rained the past
couple days fairly heavily, and the rain just accumulated. If the hippo had
actually fallen in, it would have been either in trouble from so much water, or
would have been able to get out. Regardless we could not have anesthetized it.
However, it was of course very disappointing to have yet another close call,
and on the day we were leaving no less.
We had a going away party last night. There was granat soup
involved and some drinks. We started to dance, and I just wanted to forget the
whole past month for a little while. Then I see Michele and Annika over by
themselves outside, and I go out there and they were crying. They both said they
were not in a party mood, and I started to feel guilty for having acted
carefree. It wasn’t so much that I was celebrating anything, it was that I was
spending the last night with my field assistants, who I may or may not see
again. I know how things in Sierra Leone go, and I made a mistake of leaving
one friend on a bad note in 2009, and he died 2 weeks later without me ever getting the chance of making things
right. So I can’t leave people on a bad note again!!
No comments:
Post a Comment