So my pit-trap diggers are now working to pay for the town’s Football/Soccer Team Jerseys. I bought Koya and Barri Chiefdoms (Mapuma and Kambama) team jerseys and they are going to work to pay for them. I realized this wasn’t the wisest decision when people started to fight over which color jersey they got. I had a meeting with Kambama and presented them with the jerseys, and gave them a choice of red or blue (the other would go to Mapuma). They chose red. So I was sitting at Kenewa’s place later and was approached by the team captain. He said that he had consulted the whole team and they all decided they wanted blue. I said “Are you suuuure? Bring other people from the team to tell me this.” He called over 3 more people and they all confirmed. I said “Have you even checked with Minah cuz he was really pulling for red”. They said they had begged him to change his mind and he agreed. So I brought the red jerseys to Tiwai and left the blue. So then there was going to be a match between the Pygmy Hippo Team (all those who had worked for me at one point) and EFA (Those who had worked for EFA at sometime). We go to the field and I bring my camera to take a picture of the men in their new jerseys. I come upon a huge argument, shouting, cursing, etc. like they even want to fistfight (after I left, they nearly did). Apparently nobody but the 4 who visited me wanted blue – they never changed their mind, and they still wanted red. So the Team Captain (who, consequently, I had just hired as a new field assistant), lied to me. I got really upset because I had thought to bring unity to the village by doing this, and all it was doing was causing discord, jealous, fighting. I told everybody I was taking the jerseys back to Bo. They came later (after they played their football game) to beg me not to take them back. I really really upset by the whole incident though and will think twice before doing something like this again!
No comments:
Post a Comment