Saturday, June 5, 2010

Happy World Environment Day or Tree Planting Day or whatever it is. I am typing from the village of Kambama. I went to Potoru today to join the Environmental Foundation for Africa and Welt Hunger Hilfe in their lil’ celebration thingy. There were some speeches, and a funny skit by a drama group, and cute girls doing cultural dances. Lunch was sardine/baked bean/mayo/onion sandwiches with soft drinks that left my stomach not so happy. I think I’m used to rice now! Uh-oh! I also think my stomach has shrunk (both inside and outside). That’s nice! I’m interested to see what I’m going to look like after a year here. Last time I lost 50 lbs in 9 months but I started out the first 3 months eating very well with Mr. Magona assisting me and having a fridge to be able to save food supplies from rotting within 24 hours. I’m basically starting out where I left off last year – tea with milk for breakfast, half a piece of bread if I am lucky, eat rice with some sauce around 2-4pm (probably ½ cup rice) and then usually don’t eat dinner unless I am in the village. Or if I have been to Bo in the last few days I will have a cucumber with vinegar/oil for dinner. Isn’t that exciting?

Ooooh speaking of dinner, somebody just came by with big big catfish for sale. I bought 5 tasty looking fish for $3. Now I need somebody to cook ‘em! This catfish stuff is deeelicious – one of the few fish where I don’t have to constantly worry about swallowing bones.

Tomorrow I am coming to Bo so hopefully I will be able to post these blogs. I guess they have been more negative than usual. Last night I was in bed in Kambama (for early leaving to Potoru this morning) when I heard a commotion. I came out and heard people arguing, etc. I find out that Minah’s daughter was wounded by her boyfriend. He used a razor to slash her chest after hitting her. That’s a bit much even for here, and Minah was threatening to take the matter to the police (which I support but I gotta kinda keep my mouth shut in these cases). The family of the boyfriend begged him not to and I guess they will settle it locally. I gave the poor gal a dab of Neosporin. 

No comments: