Happy End of Ramadan y’all!! Thank goodness that is over. Today is “Pray Day”. I’m sure there is a nice Arabic title for it but I forget what it is (Eid??). Anna is visiting me and she and I both went to pray (this time it was outside under mango trees, much more pleasant than the stuffy mosque). We were sat down between a couple women and a gaggle of kids. I had a nice outfit made (have taken off the shirt cuz it was hot!). Tonite is a Potoru disco. Dancing all night, or until we get tired I guess.
Well things are going pretty well. Our first traps were kind of a bust – the people I had assigned to the traps weren’t really doing their jobs. So I had a meeting and shamed people so we will see…It’s really frustrating to get work people. The village has to choose and they don’t necessarily choose the best people for the job.
No real big news to tell. I think I have a dog now. I love this lil puppy they call “Disco.” White and really sweet. Yesterday I heard the dog yelping and I look over and the owner had tied a rope around its neck and was swinging it into the air and bringing it crashing to the ground. Really horrible. I ran over and took the dog away. Apparently it had stolen some fish and this was the way of training it. I guess I’m not very culturally sensitive sometimes but I couldn’t just stand there and do nothing. The dog curled up on my lap for the next hour and just shook. Poor little baby. So the lady said she didn’t want the dog anymore and she gave it to me. So I guess I have a dog for now. I may be able to switch ownership to my friend Vandi who can make the dog into a hunting dog on the condition that he never ties a rope around the dog’s neck and all that…Sigh…
No comments:
Post a Comment