Well, I am wrapping things up here on Tiwai Island. I have less than a week to go and things are kind of hectic. I did have fun today making 6 men dig a hole then fill it back up. Well, we were really building a pit trap and I wanted to see how they make them here, so that next year I can come back and make some holes and catch me some hippos! Yeehaw! It was very interesting.
I am being forced against my will to have a going away party. Apparently I will seem ungrateful and bad if I don’t have a party. I also have to invite 4 people from each village (that makes 32) and then of course my friends. I would really rather just have my friends, but it would be bad to do that. So we’re looking at like 70 people at this party. I am going to need to be drunk. Sorry but it is true. And if people start getting grabby and asking for stuff, I’m gonna smack them. Wow aren’t I culturally sensitive? I ain’t in Peace Corps anymore and sometimes that is a good thing. I bought a bag of rice, and ingredients, and soft drinks to feed 70 people for $60. Not too bad. Still have to buy the fish, and pay the cooks. Is it bad if I don’t show up to my going away party? I just found out today that it is possible that the 4 people from each village are going to come expecting “transportation money.” I say to the hell no. You can come to my party if you want to, I’m not forcing you, but I’m sure as heck not PAYING you to come to my party!! Ridiculous. Ok, sorry, just had to vent. Sometimes I feel like I could live in West Africa forever, sometimes I think I might go mental and kill the next person who calls me “pumwi”.
No comments:
Post a Comment